A Tam in Australia

Friday, July 14, 2006

T A M W O R T H, N S W

Tamworth is the home of the biggest Country Western Festival in New South Wales, nay, in all of the vast Land of Australia. We were there 6 months later...it was obvious we weren't local yokels.

So, the last two weeks have been quite an adventure. I dressed necrotic wounds whose aroma brought me back to Organic Chemstry and that day we learned about aromatics (8 carbon benzene rings that tend to smell). That day, a tray was passed around the class w/various vials of compounds. I never really considered I'd smell "B U R N I N G F L E S H" ever again. It's invasive.

This clinical placement was true encouragement for me to stay in a career in health care. I'm not in a reflective mood at the moment, but I can say that there was one patient whose patient notes read, "Gored by pig." This poor woman had an infected wound on her leg where this alleged pig gored her 2 years ago. TWO YEARS. I'm such not a country girl. I imagined Babe gnawing on her calf...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home