A Tam in Australia

Saturday, August 05, 2006

SETTLING IN:

I started this post in February, I think. Here's a secret - I created headings for various posts I wanted to publish so my blog would have some cohesion and be the least bit interesting for you to read.

The interesting thing is, only today have I noticed some signs that I'm settling in in this strange new land...For one, I've been using more and more American slang. Words and phrases like:

- lech (as in 'lecherous', as in, "we're at a hillbilly gig - why would this attract such a lecherous man who'd bite my friend Kate on the ankle?")

- well, that's random

Am I out of date yet? Still, I've now found many Aussie phrases persisting in my daily speech:

- as you would (an appropriate response if someone says, "I couldn't get the Jeep to start again, so I doused it with kerosene and set it on fire.")

- reckon (as in, "Do you reckon they were upset to lose the World Cup?")

I also couldn't put my finger on it, but my brain's been flooding with classic American media from the 80s and early 90s like:

- The Jerk; Planes, Trains, and Automobiles; Back to the Future; Wayne's World (Party on) and Bohemian Rhapsody

- MacGuyver, The A-Team, GI Joe, Thundercats, Voltron, Little House on the Prairie (with Melissa Gilbert and Michael Landon)

Feel free to psychoanalyse (has anyone noticed my habit of spelling words with "s" instead of our customary "z"s?). As always, I encourage your feedback.

Cheers mate,
a

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home